Tuesday, April 7, 2009

reflection/response for Art21


Some artists’ techniques always fascinate me more than other artist’s techniques. I have always enjoyed creating drawings and making very precise, objective works; and when I view other artists’ works, I usually prefer to see more of the Chuck Close styles than Alberto Giacometti styles. Despite, the fact that some works preserve almost every single detail even if the work is transformed, I do not look for the artists’ reason or objective behind their work. I just simply like to enjoy their work. So why don’t I like abstract art as much? Typically because I feel that more effort is put forth to preserve every lasting detail and impression rather than just slop some paint on a canvas and call it art. I never said it did not take Giacometti hours to create his sculptures or drawings; I just did not enjoy looking at sketches that even I could have created. So now I want to give you an idea what I think about several artists I learned about during the Art21 viewing.
The first artist I viewed was Sally Mann. Her photographs were extremely exquisite in such a way that her photographs persevered almost all the detail in her pictures and yet gave them that old, historic, 1930 glass plated appearance. She was always spontaneous, and her work was like “her bible.” In fact, she had such a strong passion for her children and her work that she used her children as the center piece of her work. I liked her work because she was so dedicated to make her photographs perfect that they pretty much were. The next artist, Mel Chin, can be considered an interdisciplinary artist. His work is very admirable and ingenious. He takes decrepit, ruined houses and transforms them into something of worth and gives value to the city. Mel is also involved in preserving nomadic cultures by incorporating real nomad carpet patterns into a videogame that has you trying to figure out puzzles and you ways out of labyrinths for particular nomad tribes. Last but not least, he works on the revival field, which I think is the coolest art project ever. The revival field was designed so that plants called, “hyperaccumulators,” can take high concentrations of metals out of the soil allowing other plants to survive. The hyperaccumulators actually would absorb the metal into their system and be able to be harvested so that the metals could be recycled. What is cooler than a plant taking metals out of the soil and refining the metals by itself so that it can be harvested and allow the surrounding environment to sprout life in a once toxic wasteland? James Turrel is the third artist I evaluated. He is an environmental artist and an architect. His heart seems to be pure seeing as he designed a meeting house for Quakers and has been working on his Roden Crater Project for years, both which have been created to bring inner peace. With much dismay, the Roden Crater Project has caused Turrel many financial problems and consequently cost him two marriages and a relationship. I would at least wish him the best of luck of finishing the Roden Crater Project which already looks spectacular despite not being finished. Last but not least, I looked at Jabriel Orozco’s work. You could almost say that Jabriel is an inventor or a very abstract artist (except this is the type of abstract I like seeing because he is not the typical abstract artist who only paints or draws). Jabriel takes different mediums into different spaces and invents something total new. For example, he took potatoes and put them on books in a store and he took cat food cans and put them on watermelons (which I find very amusing). Let alone the fact he designed a cool looking car (even though it’s not functional), a clover-shaped ping pong table that four players could play on with a pond in the middle, and a circular billiard table with one ball suspended from the ceiling. The most outstanding concept behind his work is that he uses tools that everyone could use and yet, somehow, he makes masterpieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment